Secret Pal 9 Questionnaire
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I mostly like anything from Blue Sky, and I enjoy most alpaca because of its softness and squishiness. Kidsilk Haze, I think, I could be convinced to love but haven’t made much experience with it. I also have been loving recently sock yarns, STR, Cherry Tree Hill and Koigu. Of course, anything silk is simply mahvelous too. I really detest squeaky acrylic yarns and scratchy wool. I’m on the fence about mohair because I haven’t found any projects I’ve wanted to make with it.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have a bunch of squarish baskets on a bookshelf that hold my “flavor of the week” yarn and my addi turbos that I keep in their original ziploc plastic envelopes. They’re filed in order by size. Unfortunately, I haven’t found any other way I like storing them but am open to ideas.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I learned almost 4 years ago at a lys. I had been wanting to learn for years and years but couldn’t pick it up when a friend tried to teach me (we only had 1 quick session and then she sent me home to practice. Lemon yellow acrylic yarn and Susan Bates aluminum size 8’s. Needless to say, I quickly dropped stitches and it was over then.) I also tried to learn from a book by myself and that was disastrous too. I consider myself intermediate but who knows if that’s correct?
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
No but I guess I could if it would help.
5. What’s your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)
I love almond, coconut and banana smells and anything that’s light citrus. Nothing heavy and overpowering.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Boy do I ever! You know how some people are salty snackers and others sweet snackers? I’m a sweet snacker all the way. Chocolate, especially dark chocolate, is one of my favorites. I love chocolate with chewy and nuts. My favorite is See’s Candies dark nougat and rum nougat. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I dabbled in scrapbooking for a bit but it was too hard for me to find 3+ hours of time to commit to and then unpack the closet and repack it. Hence, things sat out for a long time. With the yarn, it fits nicely into a my tote bag for my current project. No interest in spinning or dyeing.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like alternative music, and growing up in the 70’s and 80’s, enjoy that New Wave stuff too. I enjoy female artists, some old time jazz like Ella Fitzgerald, Weezer, The Killers, Clay Aiken (yes, I really do!), anything with nice vocals, ranging from Andrea Bocelli to Tori Amos. I’ve been curious about Michael Buble, John Legend, Rod Stewart love songs, but am very open to anything except hard rock.
9. What’s your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can’t stand?
I am drawn to reds, purples, greens and periwinkle. I typically don’t choose blues for myself. Since I’m asian, I stay away from yellow tones. I also stay away from neon colors, unless of course they’re self-striping sock yarn.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I have 2 kids and a husband and no pets. I have allergies to cats, dogs and smoke.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I love wearing scarves, as long as the fibers tend to be natural, not acrylic. Otherwise, I get an eczema outbreak around my neck. Living in Southern California, I don’t get much opportunity to wear hats or mittens, and choose not to wear ponchos.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Gifts for people but am always dreaming about being able to knit my own sweaters. I’m happy to report that I’m finally working on one now! I enjoy making socks and footies, hats, and hope to love making sweaters for my kids and hubby (as soon as I can find time to start theirs). I’m also hoping to knit some wristwarmers for gifts and expect to really enjoy those quick projects.
13. What are you knitting right now?
Simple Knitted Bodice as part of the Sexy Knitters Club kal. Also OTN is the Lace Wings Sea Silk Shawl that I’m about to release from time out soon, and the Clapotis scarf made with KnitPicks Sock Landscape in reds, oranges and a touch of yellow.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
I love them! Unfortunately, the only ones I seem to get are hand-drawn pictures from my Sweetie Girl.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I’m a metal circular gal all the way. I use my plastic Denise set once in a while and rarely use bamboo nowadays because they’re just too slow for my liking.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Sure do and recommend them to anybody reading this who doesn’t have it yet. Immediate gratification/cast-on is critical.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
Just about 2 years. It’s the cover sweater on Vogue Fall 2004, red sweater with a big cable down the front and orange ruffles on the bottom of the hem and the sleeves. My cable got messed up and I couldn’t bear to frog the then confusing armhole shaping.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Does yarn count? Is it okay to answer a question with another question?
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I only have Elizabeth Zimmerman’s Knitting Without Tears and would love any of her other stuff, including her top down book. I also don’t have any of Barbara Walker’s Treasuries. I love my Interweave subscription but don’t have a Vogue Knitting subscription. I really like Bonne Marie Burns ChicKnits’ newest pattern, Arianne. I can’t wait until I get the new KnitPicks Options set for my birthday next month.
21. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn?
Entrelac is slightly interesting just because I’ve seen some friends make the Lady Eleanor shawl from Scarf Style and loved the Rowan Tapestry they’ve used.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I love making socks, especially 2 on 2 circs. I’m a women’s size 8 medium in width.
23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)