SP 10 Questionnaire
For my Secret Pal 10:
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I love alpaca, merino, silk and am particularly interested in the new “alternative” fibers, like bamboo, corn, and chitin. Lately I have been drawn also to traditional or classic wool yarns, and am especially curious about Beaverslide. I really love almost anything by Blue Sky, Malabrigo, Blue Moon (no duh!), Blue Heron (but funny, I don’t especially like blue yarn!). I *really* despise acrylic and most novelty yarns. I am embarrassed to admit it, but it’s true. Hi. My name is Mary. I’m a yarn snob.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
KnitPicks Options are stored in their own case, and I just got this great new circular needle holder by Della Q at Stitches West. My rarely used straight needles are kept in a pretty ceramic vase. Don’t have anything to store DPNs, but then again, I don’t have many. I have been contemplating getting some KnitPicks or Susan Bates dpns in sizes 1, 4 and 5.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I learned to knit about 4 1/2 years ago, but have been avidly knitting for about 2. I consider myself a confident intermediate, but there are still many things to learn and tackle.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
5. What’s your favorite scent?
Citrus, hands down! I also love almond, coconut, green apple and grapefruit. Unfortunately, fragrances and lotions don’t mix well for me, as I have eczema (sorry, TMI!) but I still love those scents in other forms.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I definitely have a sweet tooth, and love dark chocolate, any kind of baked dessert/good; I’m also partial towards fruity and coffee flavors too.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I have *way* too much yarn to be interested in other crafts. I’m afraid to start spinning or dyeing because I might abandon my lovely stash.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like many different kinds of music but tend not to like rap as much. I love a great, smooth voice. Lately, I’ve been intensely curious about blues (good ol’ traditional blues), John Legend, Michael Buble, John Mayer and any other great voices, male or female. I also love alternative and flashbacks to my childhood ‘70s and ‘80s music, such as ABBA, E.L.O., disco, and 80’s “new wave.”
9. What’s your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can’t stand?I really love greens (almost anything except solid forest or hunter green or kelly green), reds, browns, burgundies, pinks, oranges and yellows in moderation. I tend not to be a blue person but not sure why or why not.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Married, 2 kids, no pets
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Since I live in sunny So Cal, I wear hats occasionally to early morning soccer games, and scarves when there’s a bit of a chill. Mittens… almost never, and as for ponchos, please kill me first.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Besides gifts for others, I love knitting socks, caps because they’re quick and easy, and wrist warmers.
13. What are you knitting right now?
I’m finishing up my Wicked sweater and Hedera socks. What will I cast on next? The choices are endless. Will it be the Central Park Hoodie? The scribble lace scarf? Perhaps a malabrigo reversible cable scarf? Cotton chenille washcloth? Fetchings?
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I almost always use metal circulars but have been thinking of getting a 16″ circular in sizes US 6 and 8 for hats.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
1 ½ years. Please don’t remind me.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
It used to be Christmas and then Thanksgiving. For the past 2 years, it has become any holiday where I haven’t had to cook a lot or host a gathering (takes up too much knitting time!), and they have been Easter and 4th of July.
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Yarn, knitting books, knitting needles, stitch markers, plastic tubs to hold my yarn, seems to be anything knitting related.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I have Vogue and Interweave. I’d love to have KnitPicks dpns (above), any Barbara Walker’s Treasury 1 or 2, future releases (Yarn Harlot’s upcoming, and Charlene Schurch’s upcoming More Sensational Knitted Socks), Favorite Socks: 25 Timeless Designs from Interweave, and Lace Style.
21. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn?
I really need to improve my finishing skills, especially seaming.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I am a sock knitter, although I really need to work on learning some more heels techniques. I’m a US women’s size 8.
23. When is your birthday?