One of the best ways, I find, to motivate myself to get to those projects on my wish list is by signing up for knit-alongs, also known as KAL’s, or sew-alongs, SAL’s. One of the primary reasons I joined the Stitch Once, Rip Twice group on FaceBook, hosted by Diane of VintageZest, was to join in on the SAL’s, so jump into the deep end, I did. I participated, albeit late, in their Fall Refashioning and/or 60’s Challenge. You could sew an item refashioned from a previous garment, or a 1960’s inspired garment, or both. I chose the 60’s challenge because I’ve been digging the retro influences in fashion lately. The challenge ended at the end of September, but I finished my dress late. What can I say? When the muse doesn’t strike you . . .
I dug into my stash, and found a length of quilting cotton from JoAnn’s. Cool dots all over and nice fall colors, it was the perfect fabric choice. I then found the perfect retro pattern in my stash, Simplicity 3833, an A-line sheath dress. I knew I was in business.
I decided to work on a new technique for me, so I lined the entire dress. I often get tired of fiddling with neck and arm scye facings, and saw somewhere a sewist lined an entire dress, thereby eliminating the need for facings. Looked easy enough. After a bit of internet research, I figured out (enough) how to do it. Basically, I constructed a second dress made of the 100% cotton lining fabric but left the shoulders unseamed. I popped the dress into the lining and sewed them together at the arm holes and neck. I then sewed just the shoulders together of the dress and then hand stitched the lining at the shoulders and the back zipper. My brain took a while to process it and figure it out before I could attempt it. After all this talk about lining, I forgot to take pictures of the inside. And then I wore it on a particularly warm day. I’ll take pictures of the inside lining beautifulness after I wash it. I know. Ewwwwww. That’ll be the next post.
Here’s the end product. I’m quite pleased with it, so much so that I chose to wear it with my new groovy orange sandals.
I really like the seam under the bust with the dart. I didn’t worry about matching up the dots, and I think it looks fine (says me, the lazy sewist).
Please excuse my creepy facial expressions. I just can’t make myself mug it up in front of the camera.
My next post should feature some finished knitting projects, that is, if I can bring myself to take more pics of me. I’ve got a couple of fall cardigans to show you. Until then, be groovy.